You may be a future Astronomy-Physics major or a current Astronomy-Physics major considering your job options. But, what can you do with an Astronomy-Physics Bachelor’s degree? Read below for more information on continuing your education with a Master’s or PhD, resources to start your job search, and examples of what our past students have gone on to do.
Success Works (formerly L&S Career Services)
SuccessWorks offers tools such as Discover Careers, Job Search Tools and Strategies, Interview Skills, Graduate School Prep, Career Development courses, and On-Campus Interviews that provide information and opportunities for success.
- If you explore “Career Communities” on the left dropdown of their page, you will find areas of career focus. Each of these areas has a Facebook community where you can locate pertinent job postings, internships and other connections in your job field.
- The “Events” section is also useful for viewing upcoming Career Fairs and other SuccessWorks events (Mock interviews, Employer Info sessions and workshops).
- This site is a Great Resource for your career and job search leading up to graduation (and even after).
- You can make an appointment to get one-on-one help! Their new office is above the bookstore on the State Street Mall.
American Astronomical Society
The AAS (American Astronomical Society) is an invaluable career resource for high school and college students alike:
- AAS Careers in Astronomy Brochure
- A New Universe to Explore: Careers in Astronomy
- Research Opportunities for Undergraduate Students (REU Internships, Summer Opportunities, Fellowships, Science Policy Fellowships, and the Pathways to Science program)
- AAS Career Center (Held at each AAS Winter Meeting, employers advertise their jobs and interview job candidates)
- AIP State-By-State Listing: Who Is Hiring Physics Bachelors?
Astronomy Department Career Events
Throughout the academic year the Astronomy Department holds the following major and career events:
- Discussion on Application and Interview Strategies for Graduate School and the REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) Summer Research Program
- Astronomy Major Open House
- Speak with the Grad Students about the Graduate and REU Experience about topics such as: Why Grad School, What To Expect, and Research Opportunities for Undergrads (REU or with UW Faculty or Grad students).
- The Stellar Careers Workshop — A Board of Visitors & Astronomy Dept. Collaboration — that focuses on career paths and strategies for Astronomy-Physics Majors for both Undergraduates and Graduates.
- Astronomy Grad Students will hold a follow-up event: Graduate School in Astronomy: How To Successfully Apply And What To Expect
BACHELOR’S DEGREE CAREERS
Many of our majors pursue graduate degrees in Astronomy or Physics, many do not. Here are some careers reported by our Bachelor’s degree graduates:
- Academic Staff, UW
- Civil Engineer, Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Data Processor/Analyst, John Hopkins University
- Director: Lake Afton Public Observatory, Fairmount Center for Science & Math Education, and Kansas Science Olympiad
- Engineer II, CDW in Madison
- Healthcare Technical
- IT Business Analyst, Oshkosh Corp
- IT Lead Analyst, Alliant Energy
- Lab Technician, THE DNA Sequencing Lab, Oregon State University Medical Center
- Marketing Analyst, Working Planets
- Network Administrator, Electronic Theatre Controls
- Owner, Engineering Services Company
- Patent and Intellectual Property Lawyer
- Product Development Manager, Mad City Labs, Kloten, Switzerland
- Research Intern, Center For Astrophysics
- Research Intern, IceCube Neutrino Observatory
- Research Intern, Space Telescope Science Institute
- Research Scientist, University of Pennsylvania
- Research Scientist, UW-Madison
- Research Support Professional
- Science Assistant, National Science Foundation
- Secondary Science Teacher, Carmen High School of Science
- Senior Network Infrastructure Engineer, Charter Manufacturing
- Senior Test Engineer, Aerojet Rocketdyne
- Software Developer/System Administrator
- Software Engineer, Industrial Light & Magic
- Software Engineer II, Infinite Campus
- Systems Administrator, Portland General Electric
- Technical Solutions Engineer, Epic
- Technical Writer and Editor, Lawrence Livermore National Lab
- US Navy Squadron Engineer
- Vice President of JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Web Marketing eCommerce Project Manager
Wisconsin Employers That Have Hired Astronomy Majors:
- Broadcast Interactive Media
- Epic Systems Corporation
- GEA Process Engineering, Inc.
- Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- HG Weber
- King Pharmaceuticals
- Kleiss Gears, Inc.
- Mad City Labs
- Mead & Hunt, Inc.
- Modine Mfg. Co.
- Prairie Technologies
- Pronto Progress
- SolidWorks Corporation
- TCS Basys
- Trane, Inc.
- US Chemical