Mary Townsend (605)

Date of Birth: ca 1748
Date of Death: Unknown
Generation: 4th
Residence: Dromore House, Mallow & Kinsale
Father: Reverend Horatio Townsend [600]
Mother: Hungerford, Mary
Spouse:
  1. Newman, Adam
Issue:
  1. Adam
  2. Richard
  3. Horatio
  4. Mary
  5. Susan
  6. Jane
  7. Elizabeth
See Also: Table VI ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree

Notes for Mary Townsend

Page 92 of Green's 'Index to the Marriage Licence Bonds of the Diocese of Cloyne' 1630-1800 records a Marriage Bond dated 21 April 1768. Adam Newman (1) of Dromore House, Mallow; Collector of Kinsale, Co Cork. See Burke's Irish Landed Gentry 1912 - Bramston-Newman.

Of the children:

Adam Newman succeeded at the death of his uncle, John Newman, to the Dromore and Newbury estates. Married 1803 Frances Dorothea, daughter of Rev Robert Dring of Rockgrove, Co Cork. Adam’s second daughter, Mary Newman, married, as his second wife, Dr Richard Townsend [517] in 1829 and his youngest daughter, Helena Frances Newman, married Samuel Philip Townsend [6A03] of Garrycloyne in 1836. Adam died on 6 August 1859. 'The Post Chaise Companion or Traveller's Directory through Ireland 3rd Edition 1804' page 343 records "Two miles and a quarter beyond Mallow, ……near a mile farther, on the L. is Dromore, the seat of Mr Newman".

Richard Newman married Jane Harriet Langton, daughter of James Langton (2) of Bruree House,(3) Co Limerick and died in 1830 leaving issue. When his brother Adam succeeded to the Dromore estates, Richard came into possession of the Clahane property which was purchased by Dillon Newman 1708.

Very Rev Horatio Newman took Holy Orders and was appointed Dean of Cork in 1863. He married Charlotte, daughter of Denis Daly of Dunsandle (4) and Lady Harriet Maxwell, his wife. Horatio died without issue in 1864 and Charlotte died in March 1866. De Burca Rare Books Catalogue 110 Spring 2014 lists at Item “272. MASON, W. The Poems of Mr. Gray. To which are prefixed Memoirs of his Life and Writings. Volume one only. Dublin: Printed for D. Chamberlaine, J. Potts ... J. Colles, M. Mills, 1776. Contemporary full calf. Badge of Trinity College in gilt on covers, framed by a slim gilt floral roll. Spine lacking labels, elaborately tooled in gilt in compartments. Premium label awarded to Horatio Townsend Newman, Hilary term 1801, Tutor, Mr. Elrington. Inscribed on front free endpaper "The gift of Horace Newman to his Aunt J. Meade 1803". Some wear to binding, otherwise a very good copy. This book was presented to Horatio in 1801 and he subsequently gave it to his aunt J. Meade, who was presumably a sister to the Rev John Meade who married Susannah Townsend [604] in 1768.

Mary, Susan and Jane died unmarried. Elizabeth married William Webb and died without issue.

'Landowners of Ireland, Co Cork 1876' shows John Newman owning 6146 acres at Dromore valued at £3,375. The ‘1834 Tithe Applotment' for the Parish of Kilshannig, Co. Cork’ shows “Dromore House, Adam Newman Esq. 277 acres”.

(1) The entry for Newman (Dromore) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "This family came from Wincanton, Somerset to county Cork in the mid 17th century and Richard Newman was granted the castle and lands of Drumneen and other lands in the locality, as the manor of Newbury/Newberry, by patent of James II. These lands were formerly in the possession of Sir Richard Kyrle. Richard's grandson Adam Newman purchased the nearby Dromore estate and left this estate to his nephew also named Adam. This second Adam eventually succeeded to both estates. Brady writes that the Dromore estate was purchased by Mr Newman of Newbury from his brother in law Peter Graham. At the time of Griffith's Valuation a descendant, another Adam Newman, held at least 16 townlands in the parish of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow. John A. R. Newman of Dromore owned 6,146 acres in the 1870s while his cousins Adam Newman of Monkstown Castle owned 3,527 acres and Henry Newman of Betsborough owned 877 acres, all in county Cork."

(2) The entry for Langton (Bruree) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The Langton family were settled at Bruree, county Limerick, from at least the early 18th century. They intermarried with the Newman and Stavelly families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Langton held an estate in the parish of Bruree, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick, including the village of Bruree. Earlier, circa 1840, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Book refers to James Langton of France holding land in the parish. In November 1853 the estate of James Langton amounting to over 1,200 acres and including the village of Bruree was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The village of Bruree was advertised for sale again in August 1874. The owners included Henry Crofton Stavely who in 1855 had married Maria Augusta Langton and emigrated to Australia. see http://www.staveley-genealogy.com/dublin.htm"

(3) The entry for Bruree House in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Bruree House was also located on the Langton estate although at the time of the first Ordnance Survey the property was in the hands of Robert Fetherston who held a number of townlands in the parish, possibly from the Langtons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house was in use as an auxiliary workhouse. In 1853 Bruree House was sold to a member of the Shelton family and in 1868 it was sold to John Gubbins of the Kilfrush family. He was a successful racehorse owner and in 1884 built the present Bruree House. When he died in 1906 the property passed to his nephew John Norris Browning. The house was valued at £92 at this time. Owned by the Sheehans and Vernons in the 20th century. Now functionas as a rehabilitation centre, known as Cuan Mhuire. A print entitled "The Lawn Meet" by Patrick Hennessy depicts this house. see http://www.limerickcorp.ie/WebApps/Museum/museum_Details.aspx?PF=yes&RowID=10452"

(4) The entry for Daly (Dunsandle) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The Daly family of Dunsandle derived from Daly of Carnakelly in the parish of Kiltullagh. They bought the Dunsandle estate from the Clanricarde family in 1708. By the 1870s they owned one of the largest estates in county Galway, amounting to over 33,000 acres and wielded considerable political power throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. Denis Daly had married Henrietta Maxwell, heiress of the Earl of Farnham, in the late 18th century. James Daly of Dunsandle is recorded as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824 and the owner of lands in the parish of Kilconieron in the 1830s. Parts of the Daly estate were in the parishes of Ballymacward, Clonkeen, Killimordaly and Monivea in the barony of Tiaquin. The family also held lands in the parishes of Fahy, Killimorbologue and Meelick, in the barony of Longford. The family also had connections with the Matthew family of Thomastown, county Tipperary where they acquired an estate including much of the town of Thurles. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable Bowes Daly held land in the parishes of Gaile, baroy of Middlethird and Fertiana, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary. In the 1870s the Honourable Bowes Daly owned 1,415 acres in county Tipperary while Lord Dunsandle owned a further 3,514 acres in county Tipperary. Rev. Robert Daly, son of Denis Daly, MP, served as Church of Ireland bishop of Cashel and Waterford from 1843-1872. He was the lessor of property in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilcaragh, barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford in 1848. Lord Dunsandle accepted an offer on over 1500 acres of his estate from the Congested Districts Board after 1909."