Mary Townsend (506)
|Date of Birth:||14 Aug 1739|
|Date of Death:||11 Sep 1815|
|Residence:||Castlehaven, Co Cork|
|Father:||Captain Philip Townsend |
|See Also:||Table V ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Mary Townsend
'An Officer of the Long Parliament', Table XI shows Mary's birth as 1739 and in the text on p. 254 as August 1789 - this is clearly wrong.
Page 92 of Green's 'Index to the Marriage Licence Bonds of the Diocese of Cloyne' 1630-1800 records a Marriage Bond dated 1761. Thomas Somerville (1) of Castlehaven, son of the Reverend Thomas Somerville JP, Rector of Myross, Brade (Braad) and Castlehaven.(1a) See Burke's Irish Landed Gentry 1912 and 1976 Edn Burke's Irish Family Records - Somerville.
In his will, dated 3 June 1781 and proved in Cork on 23 August 1788, Mary's father left her and her sister Susannah £300 each - "And whereas I have given to my daughter Susan the wife of Michael French the sum of three hundred pounds as a marriage portion and the like sum of three hundred pounds as a marriage portion with my daughter Mary the wife of Mr Thomas Somerville Now I do in addition to their fortunes and in order to make them as nearly equal with the rest of my children as I now give leave and bequeath to my daughter Susan French the sum of three hundred pounds and to my daughter Mary Somerville the like sum of three hundred pounds to be paid to them respectively in one year after my decease".
Following the death of Thomas in 1793, Mary moved to The Mall in Castletownshend. In 'An Officer of the Long Parliament' she is described as "..a dear little prim old lady. She used to give little feasts off the most beautiful old china, and when all was over she and her daughter washed it all up themselves in a snow white wooden bowl." Mary's great granddaughter Henrietta Somerville (daughter of Colonel Thomas Somerville) refers to this is an un-dated letter to Dorothea Townshend [5D15] written from Kincraigie, the home of Captain Horace Townshend [5D23].(1b)
In his will dated 1 June 1794 Mary's brother, Thomas Hungerford Townsend , left £400 to “his sister Mary" (2).
According to a manuscript entry in the author's copy of 'An Officer of the Long Parliament' Mary died of a paralytic stroke; her will is dated 30 October 1809 and probate was granted 28 October 1815. See 'Pooles of Mayfield' p.231/232/237.
Of the children and subsequently a precis of the Somerville family:
First son. Thomas Townsend Somerville JP of Drishane,(3) Castletownshend and Castlehaven, Co Cork, married in November 1796, Elizabeth Henrietta Becher Townsend  (who died in February 1832), daughter of John Townsend  of Shepperton (4) and died on 9 July 1811 and is buried in the old churchyard at Castlehaven - "Beneath this Tomb are Deposited the Remains of the late Thomas Townsend Somerville of Castle Haven Esq who when In the Prime of His Life Fell Victim on the 6th of July Anno Domini 1811". He left eight sons and two daughters:
Colonel Thomas Somerville of Drishane, JP and DL, High Sheriff 1863. Thomas was born in 1797 and married on 12 October 1822 his cousin Henrietta Augusta Townsend , eldest daughter of Colonel Richard Boyle Townsend  of Castletownshend. Thomas was an executor for the will of his kinsman Richard Townsend . He died on 19 May 1882 leaving a daughter, Henrietta, and an only son, Thomas Henry.
Major John Townsend Somerville was born in 1800 and commissioned into the Bengal Service. He married in May 1836, Frances Margaret, daughter of Rev Arthur Herbert,(5) Rector of Myross Wood, Co Cork. John died in 1861. Frances's sister, Mary Herbert, married John Henry Townshend  in 1839.
Richard Somerville died young.
William Henry Somerville died young.
Rev Henry Owen Becher Townsend Somerville Rector of Doneraile who died in 1867.
Vice Admiral Philip Horatio Townsend Somerville RN married on 1 May 1849 Mary Stewart (who died on 1 June 1895), daughter of David Maitland M'Gill Crichton of Rankeilour, Co Fife, and died on 12 May 1881 leaving three sons.
Dr James Edward Somerville MD was born on 18 February 1810 and married on 13 June 1847 Ellen, daughter of John French (6) of Rath,(7) Co Cork. He was living at Park Cottage, Leap, Co Cork, when he received a legacy of £800 on the death of his cousin Richard Mellifont-Townshend  in 1884. He died in 1904 leaving issue - Thomas Townsend Somerville, John French Somerville, Mary Cornelia Somerville, Elizabeth Townsend Somerville, Henry Somerville, James Somerville, Edward Somerville, Ellen Somerville, Philip Somerville, Grace French Somerville and Ada Charlotte Augusta Somerville.(7a) Their daughter Elizabeth married John Beamish of Ballymoney on 10 Oct 1871.
Morris Townsend Somerville emigrated to Australia and married Miss Anketell. He died in 1891 leaving issue - Anquitil FitzTownsend Somerville who married Mary Cotterell and had issue, Richard Neville Somerville and Philip Horatio Townsend Somerville.(7a)
Elizabeth Somerville married in 1831 her cousin, Richard Neville Somerville (who died on 6 November 1910) of Millfield, Rosscarbery, and died in 1891. (See below)
Second son. Richard Neville Somerville married Letitia daughter of Thomas Hungerford (8) of the Island (9) and had with other issue a son and a daughter
Richard Neville Somerville of Millfield Rosscarbery married in 1831 his cousin Elizabeth (died 1891) daughter of Thomas Townsend Somerville JP of Drishane and died on 6 November 1910 leaving issue. (See above)
Third son. Philip Somerville of The Prairie, Schull, Co Cork was born in 1782 and married first in 1815 Maria Townsend [5D07] (who died that same year), fourth daughter of Rev Horatio Townsend [5D00] of Derry, Rosscarbery, Co Cork. Philip married second in August 1816 Henrietta Anna Margaretta Townsend , daughter of Richard Townsend  of Point House, Castletownshend, and thirdly Isabella Uniacke, daughter of Redmond Uniacke,(10) of Old Court, Co Cork. Redmond Uniacke's daughter, Martha, married Thomas Townsend  in 1799, Mary's nephew. Philip was a witness at the trials of the Rev Robert Morritt on charges of forcible eviction and defamation in 1819. Full details can be seen in the entry for Richard Townsend , the presiding magistrate at the trials. Thomas Hungerford, who married Philip's sister, Catherine, drew up the depositions for the trials and Becher Fleming, who married his sister, Judith, was also involved. Philip died in 1861 leaving three sons and two daughters by his second marriage and other issue by his third marriage. Children of Philip and Henrietta:
Captain Thomas Somerville JP of The Prairie was born in 1817 and commissioned into the South Cork Militia. He married first in 1853 Mary Hingston (dsp), younger daughter of Rev James Hingston (11) of Aglish,(12) Coachford, Co Cork, and Rector of Whitechurch, Cloyne. Thomas married second in 1858 his first wife's cousin, Millicent Harte, daughter of Michael Alleyn Becher of Ballyduvane House, Clonakilty, Co Cork. In 1883 Thomas was living at Clontaff, the former home of Richard Mellifont Townshend  before he moved to Nice, and was managing the estate for him, as well as that at Dunbeacon. In a letter dated 12 March 1883 to Richard, Thomas asks if he could live at Dunbeacon as he has given his house at The Prairie to his son. Richard must have agreed to this for subsequent correspondence from Thomas shows him living at Dunbeacon. He later had to leave the property as it passed to his cousins Richard Townsend  and Richard Arthur Townshend  in 1884 when Richard Mellifont Townshend died. Nevertheless, Thomas was left £3,000 in trust by Richard MT as well as all Richard’s estate in King's County and Queen's County. Thomas was to receive the income on the capital and the principal was to be divided amongst his children as he saw fit. Thomas’ will is dated 18 June 1888 and he died on 10 April 1891 leaving one son and three daughters - Thomas Philip Somerville, Eliza Somerville, Harriet Somerville and Millicent Somerville. At the time of his death he was living at Beach House, Bantry, Co Cork (13). In his will he left the £3000 to his daughters and this was released on 6 October 1891 (14). At the time of the release Eliza was married to Philip Warren of Home Villa, Headcorn, Kent, Harriet was married to John French Somerville of 15 The Paragon, New Kent Road, London and Millicent, unmarried, was living with her sister Harriet in New Kent Road.
Philip Somerville was a Captain in the army. He married Ellen Bright.
Richard Somerville who married Elizabeth Benson.
Mary Townsend Somerville who married Brisbane Warren son of Thomas Warren (15) of Prospect Villa, Monkstown, and Anna Townsend  of Whitehall.(16) She died on 23 March 1853; Brisbane died on 19 August 1847. Page 168 of the Abstract of the Deeds Enrolled in Chancery 1834-1839 records a deed (number 680) dated 13 August 1838 between Brisbane Warren of Castletownshend, Philip & Mary Somerville of Union Hall and Samuel Townsend of Whitehall. The relevant extract reads….”in consideration of a marriage contemplated between the said Brisbane Warren and Mary Townsend Somerville and of £600, the marriage portion of the said Mary Townsend and for the purpose of creating a jointure of £100 per annum…..the said Brisban Warren released to the said Samuel Townsend and Thomas Somerville the undivided fourth part or share of the lands of Shannavally, Upper Ballybricken & Rahanattig, Barnahely and Loughbeg….”
Elizabeth Mellifont Somerville (Dizzy) married on 7 October 1845 Richard Large (d. 8 March 1862), solicitor, of 35 South Terrace, Cork and had three sons – William Somerville Large (b. 3 December 1846), Brisbane Warren Large and Philip Townsend Somerville Large and a daughter. Under the terms of the will of Richard Mellifont Townsend they were entitled to share £1000 between them when they became of age. However, once of age, they forwent their respective inheritance and released the money to their mother on 16 April 1885. The indenture commences "Eliza M Large of Pelham Lodge, Bray, Co Dublin widow for the first part, the Reverend William Somerville Large of Pelham Lodge aforesaid Clerk, Brisbane Warren Lodge of the Army Medical Staff now in Ireland and Philip Townsend Somerville Large now of Kempter central Provinces India” (17). Elizabeth died on 29 October 1886 - Agnes Townsend  records in her diary - '1886 29 Oct Dizzy Large died'.
Anna Somerville married Joseph Reeves.
Mary Somerville married Edward Becher as his second wife and died in 1848.
Catherine Somerville married Thomas Hungerford of Farley Cottage, Co Cork. Thomas was the attorney who drew up the depositions for the trials of the Rev Robert Morritt on charges of forcible eviction and defamation in 1819. Full details can be seen in the entry for Richard Townsend , the presiding magistrate at the trials. Catherine's brother Philip was a witness at the trials and her brother-in-law, Becher Fleming, was involved.
Susan Somerville died unmarried.
Alice Somerville married William Parker of Passage West, Co Cork, had issue and died in 1840.
Judith Somerville married Becher Fleming (18) of New Court, (19) Co Cork. Like Philip Somerville and Thomas Hungerford above he was involved in the trials of the Rev Robert Morritt on charges of forcible eviction and defamation in 1819. Their son, Lionel John Fleming, married in 1819 Eliza Townsend [5D05] and their daughter, Martha, married John Sealy Townsend  in 1838.
Agnes Somerville married Commander John Townsend  of Clonakilty, Co Cork, as his second wife in 1820 and died in 1869.
Harriet Somerville died unmarried.
(1) Thomas was born in 1725 and died in March 1793. The entry for Somerville in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' indicates that the first of this family to settle in Cork was Rev. William Somerville, who allegedly fled persecution in Scotland in the 1690s. Col. Thomas Somerville of Drishane, Skibbereen, owned over 450 acres in county Cork in the 1870s while other members of the family owned similar amounts. Thomas Somerville was among the principal lessors in the parish of Castlehaven at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Elizabeth Somerville held townlands in the parish of Skull at the same time."
(1a) The Reverend Thomas Somerville was born in Galloway, Scotland, in 1692. That same year his father, the Reverend William Somerville, fled persecution in Scotland and settled in Ireland.
(1b) RBT Papers 506/1
(2) Derry Papers 505/2.
(3) The entry for Drishane in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Thomas Somerville held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation when it was valued at £35. Lewis also recorded it as the seat of Thomas Somerville in 1837. In 1906 it was owned by Aylmer Somerville and valued at £35. It is still extant."
(4) The entry for Shepperton in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "John Townsend held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £20 10s. Noted by Lewis as the seat of M. Townsend in 1837 and by Leet as the residence of Jonas M. Townsend in 1814. Shepperton is still extant but in poor repair."
(5) The entry for Herbert (Cahernane) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The Herberts of Cahernane descended from the same family as those at Muckross. Smith indicates that two members of the family received lands in Kerry after the Desmond rebellion, Sir William Herbert received over 13,000 acres while Charles Herbert received over 3000 acres. Over 300 acres of Rev. Richard Herbert's estate at Tullig, barony of Magunihy, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1858. In 1865, the Brewsterfield property of Arthur Orpen and Elizabeth Herbert was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court as well as premises in Killarney town. In the 1870s the Cahernane family estate amounted to over 3000 acres in county Kerry. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, the representatives of Rev. B. Herbert were among the principal lessors in the parish of Killaha while Rev. Edward Herbert was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilnanare, both in the barony of Magunihy. Rev. Richard Herbert held several townlands in the parish of Currans, barony of Trughanacmy. Lands held under lease by Timothy Kennedy from Rev. Richard Herbert's estate were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in 1881." The Herberts of Muckross are also listed in this entry.
(6) John French must be a grandson of Michael French of Rath who married Susan Townsend in 1733. The entry for French in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Marino, county Cork, was the seat of the French family in the 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Thomas George French of Marino, county Cork, a younger brother of Savage French of Cuskinny, Queenstown, held land in the parishes of Cullen, barony of Duhallow, Donaghmore, Magourney, Carrigrohanebeg, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Donaghmore, barony of Barretts and Clonmel, barony of Barrymore. He died in 1866. In October 1852, 350 acres in the barony of Barretts, the property of Michael Phillip French was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The original lease was between Savage French and Michael French of Rath, county Cork. In the 1870s the representatives of Thomas G. French of Cork owned 1,559 acres in the county and Pasco French of Marino Passage owned 624 acres. Thomas G. French had one son and five daughters and his estate was eventually inherited in 1893 by his grandson Thomas George Stuart of county Tyrone who took the additional name of French."
(7) The entry for Rath in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Smith writes in 1750 that Rath was built by Alderman James French of Cork. Rath house was occupied by Michael Greene in the early 1850s and held from Sir Edward Tierney. It was valued at £12. To the north Rath Cottage (Grid Ref R492 147) was held by Sir Edward Tierney in fee and was valued at £14. This cottage is now a ruin and Rath House although still extant is no longer lived in. A new house having been built on the site."
(7a) RBT Papers 506/1
(8) The entry for Hungerford in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke indicates that this family traditionally claimed descent from the Hungerford family of Farley in Somerset. Captain Thomas Hungerford settled in west Cork in the later seventeenth century.The Hungerfords married into many other influential families in the area including Beecher, Jones and Daunt. Both Mary Sandes Hungerford and Francis Hungerford, of The Island House, Inchydoney, were the owners of over 500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Thomas Hungerford was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleventry, Island and Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Both Richard and Beecher Hungerford held townlands in the parish of Kinneigh at that time. Much of this land was held on lease from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In July 1852 over 800 acres in the parish of Kinneigh, barony of East Carbery, the property of Richard Hungerford, deceased, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Over 300 acres, the property of Alexander George Hungerford, was offered for sale in the court in June 1856 while 560 acres of Thomas Hungerford's estate, located in the barony of East Carbery, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in October 1859."
(9) The entry for Inchydoney in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Thomas Hungerford was leasing this property from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners when it was valued at £22. Described by Lewis as "Island House" and the seat of T. Hungerford in 1837. In 1906 it was owned by Mary Sandes Hungerforde and valued at £31 15s. There is still a house at this location."
(10) The entry for Uniacke in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "''Burke's Irish Family Records'' gives a very detailed genealogy of this family, established in the Youghal area of county Cork from the 16th century. James Uniacke, who died in 1733, purchased the Mount Uniacke (Coolegaragh) estate from James FitzGerald of Glenane, county Cork and built the house. From his eldest son Richard descend the Uniackes of Mount Uniacke and from his third son the Uniackes of Castletown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Norman Uniacke's estate was mainly in the parishes of Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon and Ardagh, Dangandonovan and Killeagh, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. At the same time Crofton Uniacke of Ballyre held land in the parish of Dangandonovan as did Robert Uniacke of Castletown. Thomas Uniacke was also one of the principal lessors in the parish of Skull at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1851, Robert Uniacke was among the principal lessors in the parish of Stradbally, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. In October 1854 the Mount Uniacke estate of 7,754 acres in the baronies of Imokilly and Kinnatalloon was advertised for sale. A note on the rentals shows that two lots were bought by Robert W.F. Uniacke. 1,305 acres were re-advertised in June 1864. In the 1870s Norman Uniacke of Mount Uniacke owned 1,559 acres and Robert Uniacke of Castletown owned 1,222 acres in county Cork. This family was related to the Penrose Fitzgeralds and Judkin Fitzgeralds."
(11) The entry for Hingston in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "This family were settled in the parish of Aglish, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork from the early 18th century. In 1703 the town and lands of Aglish, 353 acres, were purchased from the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates by James Hingston, victualler of Cork. In the mid 18th century Smith refers to the "good house and plantations" of Mr Hingston. Three successive generations of Reverend James Hingstons descend from William Hingston of Aglish, son of the purchaser. James Hingston, born 1818, built the 19th century house. His second son the Reverend Richard Edward Hull Hingston is described as "of Aglish" in 1904 but he was resident in London. In Griffith's Valuation the Reverend James Hingston is recorded as holding land in the parish of Cloyne, barony of Imokilly. In the 1870s the Hingston family of Aglish owned 211 acres in county Cork while another branch of the family owned 150 acres. For detailed information about this family see http://www-civ.eng.cam.ac.uk/cjb/hingston/hn.htm"
(12) The entry for Aglish in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The Hingstons were resident at Aglish from the early 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Hingston owned a house valued at £21 in fee. An old mansion house is marked on the first Ordnance Survey map at the Grid Reference W469715."
(13) The home of his cousin Richard Arthur Townshend 
(14) Lovera Papers 242/1, 242/2 and 242/3.
(15) The entry for Warren (Warren's Court) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Robert Warren, an army officer, established himself in the East Carberry area of county Cork in the mid 17th century. In May 1703 his son Wallis Warren bought Kilbarry now known as Warren's Court. It was part of the confiscated estate of the Earl of Clancarty. In 1699 Wallis Warren also bought East and West Curryclogh from Henry Eal of Romney [enrolled 1703]. His grandson Robert Warren of Warren's Court and Crookstown House, county Cork, was created a baronet in 1784. The Warrens of Codrum and Crookstown are descended from younger sons of the first marriage of the 1st Baronet. John Borlase Warren, later 4th Baronet, held 1700 acres in the townland of Sillahertane, barony of Iveragh, from the Orpen family in the early part of the nineteenth century. Over 10,000 acres of the estate of Adrian Taylor, in which members of the Orpen and Warren families had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1855. Sir Augustus Warren's estate in county Kerry in the 1870s amounted to over 8700 acres. His estate in county Cork amounted to 7,787 acres at the same time and was located in the barony of West Muskerry parishes of Kilmichael, Ballinadee, Clondrohid, Inchigeelagh, Kilmurry and Macroom, the parishes of Cannaway and Moviddy, barony of East Muskerry and the parish of Murragh, barony of Kinalmeaky. His brothers Captain Warren of Passage, Cork and Robert Warren of Ashgrove owned a further 1,477 and 530 acres respectively and other family members had smaller amounts. Henry E. Warren, a grandson of the 1st Baronet, was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmoe, West Carbery at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Over 700 acres in the barony of Barretts, the property of Massy Hutchinson Warren, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, in April 1854. Lands at Cloonvickavrick, barony of Muskerry, leased to the Webb family in 1717, were advertised for sale in April 1877, the estate of the Reverend John Webb."
(16) The entry for Whitehall in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Edward Townsend held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £22. Lewis noted it as the residence of S. Townsend in 1837. In 1906 it was owned by the representatives of Samuel R. Townsend and valued at £21. Bence-Jones indicates that it later became the property of the Alleyne family."
(17) Lovera Papers 242/5.
(18) The entry for Fleming (Cork) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The Fleming estate in county Cork amounted to over 3000 acres in the 1870s. Lionel B. Fleming was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Aghadown and Kilmoe, West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
(19) The entry for Newcourt in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Lionel Fleming held this property in fee, when it was valued at £22. Both Lewis, in 1837, and Leet in 1814, noted it as the seat of Beecher Fleming. It is shown on Taylor and Skinner's 1783 map apparently the residence of a Tenson family. It was owned by the representatives of Beecher Fleming in 1906 when it was valued at £28 5s. Bence-Jones notes that this house is now demolished though a farm exists at the site."
For other Somerville connections see Elizabeth Henrietta Townsend , Henrietta Augusta Townsend , Jonas Morris Townsend , Henrietta Anna Townsend , John Townsend , Horatio Thomas Townsend , Letitia Mary Townsend , Maria Townsend