Elizabeth Townsend (336)

Date of Birth: Unknown
Date of Death: Unknown
Generation: 7th
Residence: Ballingary, Co Limerick
Father: Reverend John Townsend [318]
Mother: Warren, Alicia
  1. Odell, Henry Edward
  1. Eliza
  2. Henry
  3. Alice
  4. Robert
See Also: Table III ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree

Notes for Elizabeth Townsend

Married 9 January 1830, as his second wife. Major Henry Edward Odell (1), 60th Rifles, was the 5th son of Colonel Thomas Odell] (2 & 3), Connell's Horse, of Castle Connell and The Turret,(4) Ballingary, Co Limerick.

Of the children:

Eliza Warren Odell married Reverend James Pratt in 1864.

Henry Edward Odell was born on 9 December 1831 in Cork.

Alice Odell was born on 2 June 1833 in Cork and married John Sampson Armstrong in 1855.

Robert Wolseley Odell was born on 25 November 1837 at Gibraltar. He was commissioned into the 81st Regiment and died on 18 August 1856 in Lahore, India.

(1) Henry died on 18 September 1864.

(2) A report in the Limerick General Advertiser of 30 January 1810 reads "Thomas A ODELL, Esq our late High Sheriff for the county, is succeeded by Eyre EVANS, of Ash-hill, Esq. who has appointed Joseph CRIPS, Esq. his under sheriff." Is this Colonel Odell?

(3) The entry for Odell in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The Odell/O'Dell family were established at Ballingarry, county Limerick from the late 17th century. Major John Odell was granted 1,679 acres in the county in 1667. A branch of the family was living at Fortwilliam or Bealdurogy, just north of Ballingarry by the 1720s. The Odells intermarried with members of the Fitzmaurice family Earls of Kerry and also with the Fennell, Crone, Bayly, Scanlan and Westropp families. By the 19th century they had a number of residences in the Ballingarry locality. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Odell held land in the parishes of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Ballingarry and Cloncagh, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. Some of the Odell estate was held by the Court of Chancery at this time. Land belonging to Isabella O'Dell, devisee of James Condon (Scart) at Cappagh and the Well Farm, Ardgoulmore, barony of Connello Lower was advertised for sale in July 1853 and February 1856."

(4) The entry for The Turret in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Lewis writes that the Turret was erected by a branch of the De Lacy family and repaired by Colonel O’Dell in 1683 and was "lately the residence of Major O’Dell". The Ordnance Survey Field Name Book refers to an inscription on the wall of the building which recorded the O'Dell family inhabiting the building in 1683. It was reputed to incorporate a turret from an old house of the Knights Hospitallers. Thomas O'Dell was resident in 1814 and Mrs O'Dell of the Turret, Ballingarry died in 1818 according to the church records of that parish. Fitzgerald in 1826 refers to Jackson's Turret, built on a hill and "now nearly in ruins". Bence Jones writes that a porch and wing were added to the building in the late 19th century and that it became a presbytery. Grid reference is approximate."