Lieutenant Colonel Arthur FitzHenry Townshend (267)

Date of Birth: 19 May 1874
Date of Death: ka 16 Sep 1916
Generation: 8th
Residence: Tallyho House, Castletownshend
Father: Lieutenant Colonel Henry FitzJohn Townshend [260]
Mother: Bushe, Mary
Spouse: Unmarried
Issue: None
See Also: Table II ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree

Notes for Lieutenant Colonel Arthur FitzHenry Townshend

Arthur was baptized at Magdalen Asylum Church, Leeson Street, Dublin on 7 June 1874.

Arthur's biography can be seen on page 294 of 'Cork and County Cork in the Twentieth Century - Contemporary Biographies' by the Rev Richard J Hodges and published by W T Pike & Co in 1911. It has also been reproduced in his 'Scrapbook'.

Educated at Colwall School, Malvern, Worcestershire and Haileybury, Arthur was commissioned (1) on 28 May 1891 into 4th Battalion The Cameronians with whom he served in India. He transferred into 1st Battalion The Cameronians on 2 June 1894 (2) and resigned his commission as a Lieutenant on 23 March 1898 (3). Rather oddly, he re-joined 4th Battalion The Cameronians on 12 February 1900 as a Captain and served in South Africa during The Second Boer War. He was Mentioned in Despatches on 10 September 1901 (4).

Seconded to the Foreign Office on 25 July 1903 (5) Arthur was appointed Vice Consul in Adana, Turkey, on 1 Jun 1903 (6) and Consul for the Vilayet (7) of Adrianople on 18 April 1905. Following this secondment Arthur resigned his commission on 30 June 1906 (8) and travelled widely in Europe, Asia Minor, India, Africa and the West Indies. He wrote several articles on travel, yachting and sea-fishing and also wrote a book entitled A Military Consul in Turkey.

Arthur inherited Seafield, (8a) Castletownshend, in 1912 on the death of his father and this is recorded in Guy's City and County Cork Almanac & Directory for 1913 Postal Directory Castletownshend on page 309 - "Townshend Capt A F, Seafield House." He sold the property sometime before 1914 and rented a property in the village called Tally-Ho from Sir Egerton Coghill who at that time was living in The Castle at Castletownshend. 'Guy's Postal Directory for Castletownshend 1914' records “Townshend Capt AF Tallyho House”.

On the outbreak of the First World War Arthur volunteered to join the General Reserve of Officers and this was accepted on 18 August 1914. Promoted temporary Major on 1 December 1914 (9) he was twice wounded serving with 4th Battalion The Cameronians during the war and was Mentioned in Despatches on 30 November 1915. On 28 January the following year Arthur was appointed Commanding Officer The Royal West Kent Regiment - 'London Gazette 3rd February 1916' - "The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Temporary Major Arthur F. Townshend (Captain, Reserve of Officers), from The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), to command a Battalion, and to be temporary Lieutenant- Colonel. Dated 28th January, 1916."

The Battalion went overseas in May 1916 with Major AC Corfe as Arthur's Second in Command. They first saw action in the Ypres/Armentieres area before moving down to the Somme area in August. Involved in one of the first tank attacks at Flers on 16 September the Battalion lost 443 men including Arthur who died of wounds received. His death was reported in The Cork Examiner on 19 September 1916 and the London Gazette 29890. He is buried at Heilly Station Cemetery, IV. F. 8., Mericourt-l'Abbe, France.

Arthur was a member of the Naval and Military and Alpine Sports clubs.

Arthur's sister Sylvia Townshend [268] was the sole executrix and legatee of his estate. Page 693 of The Calendar of Wills and Administration 1858-1922 in the National Archives of Ireland records that Probate of the will of "Arthur Fitzhenry Townshend late of Tally House Castletownshend County Cork Lieutenant Colonel”, who died on 16 September 1916, was granted at Dublin 15 November 1916 to "Sylvia R Gorges Married Woman". Effects £7,345 11s 5.

(1) London Gazette 26170 page 3053.

(2) London Gazette 26518 page 3191.

(3) London Gazette 26950 page 1867.

(4) London Gazette 27353 page 5961.

(5) London Gazette 27586 page 5075.

(6) [London Gazette 27563 page 3711.

(7) London Gazette 27790 page 3245 and Lovera Papers 267/2, 3 and 3A.

(8) London Gazette 27929 page 4643.

(8a) The entry for Seafield in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Judge John Fitzhenry Townsend, of Seafield, Castletownsend, owned over 600 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. He was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcoe, barony of West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation." The entry gives details of Squince House and Roaring Water Cottage but there is no specific mention of Seafield.

(9) London Gazette 29005 supplement 10664.