Anne Townsend (143)

Date of Birth: Unknown
Date of Death: August 1815
Generation: 5th
Residence: Ardtully, Co Kerry
Father: Horatio Townsend [130]
Mother: Richards, Anne
Spouse:
  1. Orpen, Richard
Issue:
  1. Richard Townsend
  2. Horace Townsend
  3. Edward
  4. Samuel
  5. Henry
  6. Anne
  7. Alice
See Also: Table I ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree

Notes for Anne Townsend (Anna)

Married 7 November 1766 at Macroom, Co Cork. Anne was the first wife of Richard Orpen (1), of Ardtully (2), near Kenmare, Co Kerry. See Burke's Irish Landed Gentry 1912 - Orpen.

Richard Orpen inherited his father-in-law's estate and changed his name to Richard Orpen Townsend in about 1800- National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office Ms.3, p.115

Page 200 of the Calender of Wills and Administration 1858-1922 in the National Archives of Ireland records that Letters of Administration on the personal estate of "Anna Townsend late of Ardtully", who died in August 1815' were granted at the Principal Registry on 6 December 1860, in respect of the "goods unadministered by Richard Orpen Townsend deceased, the husband of the said deceased".

Of the children:

Richard Orpen (4) married the Hon Anne Mullins daughter of William Townsend Mullins 2nd Lord Ventry (3) in 1811 and had a daughter {Anna Sarah (4a)} who married Adrian Taylor. Richard succeeded his father in the living at Ardtully, County Kerry and died in 1849. Anne Mullins was a great granddaughter of Katherine Townsend [109].

Horace Orpen married Elizabeth Kite and had a daughter, Anna, who died in infancy.

Edward Orpen married Maria, daughter of Daniel Crumpe, and had four sons and four daughters.

Samuel Orpen married on 5 August 1805 Bridgette Sophia Hungerford, daughter of Thomas Hungerford of The Island,(5) and had two sons and a daughter. Samuel lived at lived at Woodville,(6) Kilgarvan, County Kerry and died in 1826. Sophia died in October 1830.

Captain Henry Orpen married on 23 February 1805 Letitia Becher, daughter of Richard Hedges Becher (7) and Mary Alleyne. They had four sons and two daughters. Henry lived at Bridgeville Park,(8) County Cork and died on 15 October 1838.

Anne Orpen married Richard Rye of Ryecourt.

Alice Orpen married William Meredith and had a son and a daughter.

(1) Richard was born in 1736. His second wife was Miss Laplant and his third wife was Alice, daughter of John Ryves Nettles, of Nettleville, co. Cork; neither bore him any children. The entry for Orpen (Glanarought) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke describes the Orpen family as claiming great antiquity. They settled in Ireland after the Cromwellian wars and married into some of the other influential families in county Kerry including the Herberts. Richard Orpen was agent for Sir William Petty on his county Kerry estates. Over 4000 acres of the estate of Richard Becher Opren in the barony of Glanarought were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1852. The petitioner was John B. Warren, who later acquired parts of the Orpen lands in this area. Over 10,000 acres of the estate of Adrian Taylor, in which members of the Orpen and Warren families had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1855. Richard J.T. Orpen was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kenmare and Kilgravan at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s the estate of the late Sir Richard Orpen amounted to over 12,000 acres in county Kerry as well as 300 acres in county Cork. The representatives of F.H. Orpen were the proprietors of 800 acres in county Kerry at the same time.

(2) The entry for Ardtully House in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Richard J.T. Orpen was leasing Ardtully House from John Croker at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £23 5s. In 1814 Leet records it as the seat of Richard O. Townsend while Lewis, in 1837 mentions Ardtully as "the ancient mansion of Richard Orpen Townsend". It was also the seat of the Orpen family in the 1770s. Bary states that this property included an earlier castle, which was originally part of the McFineen McCarthy lands forfeited in the seventeenth century. It was granted by the Hollow Blade Company to the Conways but, later in the eighteenth century, the Orpens were occupying the house, subsequently replaced in the nineteenth century. Recorded, perhaps mistakenly, as the seat of R.H.M. Orpen and Sir. R.J.T Orpenm in 1894, in 1906 it was owned by Richard H.M. Orpen and valued at £40. The Scottish-baronial style house was burnt in 1921 but the ruins remain."

(3) The entry for de Moleyns (Mullins) (Lord Ventry) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Smith indicates that Frederick Mullins was granted lands in Dingle, which he named Burnham after the family's original seat in England. Lord Ventry owned land in almost all parishes in the barony of Corkaguiny at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. His uncle the 2nd Baron had bought the Trants' county Kerry estate in 1813 (D 27,862 NLI). Lord Ventry was among the principal lessors of lands in the parishes of Ballymacelligott, Kilgarrylande, Killorglin and O'Brennan, barony of Trughanacmy at the same time. The Ordnance Survey Name Books mention David P. Thompson of Tralee as his agent. William deMoleyns was also leasing several townlands in the parish of Killorglin. Lands in the parish of Kilbonane, barony of Magunihy, had been offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. A manuscript note on the sale notice indicates the purchasers were Hunt, Stokes and Booker. Part of Lord Ventry's estate at Ballymoreigh, parish of Dingle, county Kerry and at Ballyshane, parish of Dunmahon, county Cork, was offered for sale in July 1852 and the Cork land again in December 1852. In the 1870s the de Moleyns estate amounted to over 91,000 acres in county Kerry. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 80,000 acres of Lord Ventry's estate in 1913."

(4) Richard was born in 1764 and died on 2 Dec 1848. These details are listed in the Parish Records of St Peter's Church, Kilgarvan in the diocese of Ardfert & Aghadoe.

(4a) Anna was born on 22 Jul 1814 and baptized 27 Jul 1814. These details are listed in the Parish Records of St Peter's Church, Kilgarvan in the diocese of Ardfert & Aghadoe.

(5) The entry for Hungerford (Island) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke indicates that this family traditionally claimed descent from the Hungerford family of Farley in Somerset. Captain Thomas Hungerford settled in west Cork in the later seventeenth century.The Hungerfords married into many other influential families in the area including Beecher, Jones and Daunt. Both Mary Sandes Hungerford and Francis Hungerford, of The Island House, Inchydoney, were the owners of over 500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Thomas Hungerford was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleventry, Island and Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Both Richard and Beecher Hungerford held townlands in the parish of Kinneigh at that time. Much of this land was held on lease from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In July 1852 over 800 acres in the parish of Kinneigh, barony of East Carbery, the property of Richard Hungerford, deceased, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Over 300 acres, the property of Alexander George Hungerford, was offered for sale in the court in June 1856 while 560 acres of Thomas Hungerford's estate, located in the barony of East Carbery, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in October 1859."

(6) The entry for Woodville in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Richard Orpen was occupying a property valued at £18 5s at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lewis also notes it as his residence in 1837. In 1814 Leet recorded it as the seat of Samuel Orpen. Bary states that this house was sometimes known as Cranberry House, though on the Ordnance Survey maps it appears as Woodville. It was occupied by various members of the Orpen family throughout the nineteenth century but is now ruinous (sic)."

(7) The entry for Becher in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' and Smith both indicate that the Beechers were originally a Kent family. Fane Becher was granted over 12,000 acres in county Cork during the reign of Elizabeth I. Henry Beecher was granted land in West Carbery in 1669 and is recorded as the purchaser of land from Lord Kingston and Sir William Petty. In 1778 Mary daughter of John Townshend Becher of Creagh and Annisgrove, county Cork, married William Wrixon of Cecilstown, county Cork. She succeeded to the estates of her brother Henry Becher of Creagh. Their eldest son William Wrixon of Ballygiblin assumed the name of Becher and was made a baronet in 1831. He married an actress Miss O'Neill and had a number of children. Griffith's Valuation records Sir William Wrixon Beecher holding an estate in the parishes of Castlemagner, Clonfert, Kilmeen, Knocktemple and Subulter, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. Sir Henry Becher, who succeeded his father in 1850, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castlehaven, Aghadown, Creagh and Tullagh in the barony of West Carbery, county Cork. Sir William Becher also held land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. The estate of Sir Henry Wrixon Becher of Ballygiblin amounted to 18,933 acres in county Cork and 358 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. Michael A Becher held townlands in the parish of Kilmeen, barony of East Carbery and in the 1870s Michael R. A. Becher of Ballyduvane, Clonakilty owned over 2,000 acres in county Cork. In 1854 lands and mining interests, the property of Edward Baldwin Becher, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, and includes a report on the mines of Coolaghmore and Coolaghbeg. In the 1870s the Becher estate in Cork (a combination of the Wrixon and Becher estates) amounted to over 18,000 acres while he also held lands in Tipperary. The estate of the representatives of the late John Beecher amounted to over 1600 acres in the 1870s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Edward and George Beecher were among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcoe while Richard Beecher was the lessor of townlands in the parish of Skull. Eliza Beecher held several townlands in the parish of Kilgarriff, barony of Ibane & Barryroe, at the same time. In October 1851, 17,000 acres, the estate of Richard H. Hedges Beecher, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Lot 1 included the owner's house at Hollybrook. A sale of the remaining lots took place in February 1852 and included the house at Lakelands, leased to Richard O'Donovan Beecher. In April 1858, the house and demesne at Hollybrook were again offered for sale. An extensive family history of both the Becher/Beecher and Wrixon families is given by Grove White and published in the ''Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society'' (1907) under Ballygiblin. The spelling Becher and Beecher are used almost interchangably thoughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries."

(8) The entry for Bridgeville Park in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Richard Orpen was leasing this property to Henry Orpen at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £7 15s. Capt. H. Orpen was recorded by Lewis in this property in 1837. In 1814, Leet mentions it as the seat of Henry Orpen. It is described as "in ruins" on the 1895 map."

For other connections with the Orpen family see Katherine Townsend [109].