Rotational splittings in summary files

Suggestions for improvements, new features, etc.
warrick

Re: Rotational splittings in summary files

Post by warrick » Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 am

If you can point me to somewhere else in the code that does such caching, I can give it a try, though I probably won't get a chance for some time still. (Computing the rotational splittings was something I had to do anyway, and I figured I could try to add it to GYRE just as much as I could set up some Python post-processing!)

Also, I don't have my heart set on a pull request—just trying to raise my coding game—so if it's too much of a faff, you can reject it and ingest my changes by hand.

warrick

Post by warrick » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 am

I don't have the time to work out another pull request but I thought I should follow this up because I did hack something together to avoid recomputing the mode inertia for every point in the kernel. For simplicity, here's the link to the commit in my fork of GYRE. I just created another item which is the partial unnormalised rotation kernel, and then I multiply it by the mode inertia if the user asks for the rotation splittings.

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:00 am

warrick wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 am
I don't have the time to work out another pull request but I thought I should follow this up because I did hack something together to avoid recomputing the mode inertia for every point in the kernel. For simplicity, here's the link to the commit in my fork of GYRE. I just created another item which is the partial unnormalised rotation kernel, and then I multiply it by the mode inertia if the user asks for the rotation splittings.
I think I've already resolved this problem -- the inertia calculation is now done once and cached. This change will appear in the next public release. Sorry for not telling you sooner!

warrick

Post by warrick » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 am

No problem! I made that hack ages ago and I have no doubt that your solution is both more elegant and more general anyway.