I. Apply Using the UW-Madison Graduate School Electronic Application:
- Complete online application: Graduate School Electronic Application
- Allow 30 to 60 minutes to complete the application. Prepare all materials to be uploaded beforehand.
- If an unsubmitted application is not accessed in a 120 day time period it will be disabled.
- Submit application fee.
Please Note: Admission to the doctoral program requires admission to both the Department of Astronomy and the Graduate School.
II. Submit the Following Materials in the UW-Madison Graduate School Electronic Application:
- Scanned unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Astronomy courses for Fall and Spring, if not listed in the transcript.
- Statement on 'Reasons for Graduate Study in Astronomy'.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters of Recommendation Process
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores for the general and subject test in physics. (List scores on the Graduate Application and request scores to be sent by GRE to UW-Madison, Institution Code 1846).
- Résumé, first page of published papers, or any other material that you would like to share with the Admissions Committee can be submitted on the Graduate School Application or Astronomy Supplemental Application within the Graduate School Electronic Application.
III. International Applicants Must Also Submit The Following Materials:
- Scanned official documentation of all courses taken and grades received (transcripts), with an English translation.
- Scanned official certification of degrees and dates granted, with an English translation.
- Official TOEFL score.
The application deadline for Fall, 2017 admission is December 31, 2016. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Graduate Admissions Coordinator, Sharon Pittman, via email, telephone (608) 890-3775, or fax (608) 263-6386.